22.12.08

I spend way too much time in my own head.

Recently I've been questioning some of my actions. The one I hear most frequently (from myself and from my peers) is "why are you subbing?" Excellent question. My immediate response? Money. Power over students I have a grudge against. My inability to let go of my high school.

But, as always, it's deeper than that. For years and years, adults have been telling me that I would be a good teacher. After helping to teach a Vacation Bible School class one summer, the woman I worked with said to me "I hope you become a teacher." G would repeatedly tell me that I'd become a teacher and come back and take his job. Because of all these people telling me I would be good at it, I suppose I want to see for myself. Either prove them wrong or prove them right. I want to try out the family business. My mother and her sister were both teachers. My oldest sister is a teacher. My other sister has worked as a teacher. My cousin and her husband are teachers. Another cousin is still in school to become a teacher. Like I said --the family business.

A big thing eating at me right now is Christmas. I bought Josh a record that he had said, in passing, that he wanted to get. When I got my ten-dollar Amazon gift card for completing a survey about one of my textbooks, I immediately looked up the album and began my arduous debate, to give or not to give. I wanted to get him something, and not just a thoughtless gift card to the movies or Best Buy. Of course, now that I have it I can't decide if it was stupid for me to buy it. I keep running over what I'll say to him when I give it to him. "If you already have it, then I'll just keep it for myself!" which I most definitely would. Still, the thought of possible awkwardness lingers. I certainly don't expect anything in return. I'm a very giving person. My anticipation of awkwardity is totally unjustified. We are friends. Maybe my mind just can't change gears that fast.

I need to stop asking so many questions of myself and see the world from the inside out, not the inside in.

2 Comments:

Blogger joy said...

AND
Adam got Josh the same thing for Christmas. So I'm keeping my copy of Viva la Vida.
I'm glad I saw that before I tried giving it to Josh on Saturday!

23.12.08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good call.

i still have like, 8 of your CD's.

they're at my mom's, so....

:/

29.12.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home