5.9.06

Some great reading I got to do for AC...

From "Indian Education" by Sherman Alexie.
It's all from my textbook, the ninth edition of The Bedford Reader.
Since I'd hate to plagarize or anything...



Seventh Grade
I leaned through the basement window of the HUD* house and kissed the white girl who would be later raped by her foster-parent father, who was also white. They both lived on the reservation, though, and when the headlines and stories filled the papers later, not one word was said about their color.
Just Indians being Indians, someone must have said somewhere and they were wrong.
But on the day I leaned through the basement window of the HUD house and kissed the white girl, I felt the good-byes I was saying to my entire tribe. I held my lips tight against her lips, a dry, clumsy, and ultimately stupid kiss.
But I was saying good-bye to my tribe, to all the Indian girls and women I might have loved, to all the Indian men who might have called me cousin, even brother.
I kissed that white girl and when I opened my eyes, she was gone from the reservation, and when I opened my eyes, I was gone from the reservation, living in a farm town where a beautiful white girl asked my name.
"Junior Polatkin," I said, and she laughed.
After that, no one spoke to me for another five hundred years.
(*HUD = Housing and Urban Development, a US government department)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that
is
freaking

amazing

14.9.06  
Blogger joy said...

Wait til you read the rest of it.
Then we can talk about amazing.

14.9.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home